Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I am a Book

For all those inquisitive in knowing why i write, it's just when my brain is tormented by a deluge of thoughts, that I hold a pen and paper and start transforming these thoughts to words. I have always had this penchant for books, and I can safely say that I've spent the maximum time of my life engrossed in them, like many others. They are something who has actually served that platitude, "books are our best friends". I know I'm naive to write about how great they are, but I can only thank them for what they've always meant to me and hope that they do it till my last breath. They've made up a large part of me, and so I thought to write about them someday. But this time unlike always, I write from the perspective of a book.
And here it goes,
For some, I'm a tightly bound collection of pages, for some I'm an object of reverence, for some I'm the number of topics you have to mug up days before exams, for some I'm their solace, their object of adulation, an object to love. I'm the brainchild of the diligence of some individual(s) who invested his precious time, and valuable energy in me. I was a well thought over, highly researched fruit, which is now cherished by a bunch of people, who get hold of me, all with a different set of feelings. I'm seen on their bookshelves, their machines, their beds, their hands, sitting placid, but brimming with ideas and concepts the author endowed me with. I made one promise to serve them for life, I live unto it. No matter how old I go, my pages go worn out and pale, I still occupy museums and certainly the hearts of many.

Yes, I serve the didactic purpose spreading the pearls of bountiful knowledge. I am their companion, or so called burden in their exams. But more than that, I'm a clearly expressed experience of someone, who wanted to make it available to others so that they benefit from me. I'm a journey, which makes you flow in the realm of thoughts. But the journey isn't a smooth ride. I make them smile, make them cry, frustrate them, fascinate them, and captivate their thoughts for a lifetime. I have taught those facts, sentiments and everything abstruse this world has to offer.

Pen marks and tear drops are an unwarranted part of me, but as I say "anything for you Sir!" I am an object of discussion or critique for many. But I occupy the shelves of all sacrosanct places, held with utter respect by one and all. I'm part of libraries being objects of choice. It's not that I am bereft of competition. There are many others like me who wait to lure the readers. However, i am helpless; I stare at them and can just hope that their hands hold my pages. It's not that I'm being self-centered, but yeah "Selfishness is a virtue" 
All I can say is that I was once made (what a great day it must have been), and I'm here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment